The Appalachian Connection Scholarship is a $10,000 scholarship awarded annually to a high school senior bound for an accredited 4-year college or university.
If you are interested in applying, please read the sections below on Eligibility, Timeline, Application Requirements, and Selection.
- Applicant must have attended, and be a 2018 graduate from a public high school in Perry County, Kentucky.
- Applicant must be planning to attend full-time as an undergraduate at an accredited 4-year college or university within the state of Kentucky.
- Applicant must be a U.S citizen or permanent resident.
- Appalachian Connection requires all scholarship recipients to maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher at the end of each academic calendar, otherwise no funds will be dispersed the following year. Some exceptions may be made based on extraordinary personal circumstances. These decisions will be made at the sole discretion of the Appalachian Connection Board.
- 2018 Application will be available online beginning March 1, 2018.
- 2018 Application deadline: March 31, 2018 . No late submissions will be accepted.
- Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements listed above, complete the entire online application, and submit the required supplementary documents on time to be eligible.
- The 2018 Scholarship recipient will be announced no later than May 10, 2018.
- Official high school transcript.
- A short essay explaining how you would use the award to further yourself and the Appalachian region.
- Standardized test results (ACT and/or SAT).
- Letters of reference from community members and teachers.
Selected applicants are required to have a personal interview following the March 31 application deadline. Interviews will be conducted in the month of April or May. For 2018, interviews will be conducted face to face with the board of directors. Appalachian Connection will contact those selected to schedule your interview.
- A few interview tips:
- Arrive dressed as you would for a job interview.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself including your background, motivation, academic history, activities, interests, and goals. Be able to discuss what plans you have made for financing your college education. Be ready to discuss how you would use the scholarship to not only benefit yourself, but the Appalachian region as a whole.
- Please be punctual. Our interviewers have very busy schedules.
- Community leadership
- Academic achievement
- Dedication to the Appalachian region
The application window for the 2018-2019 academic year has closed. (Applications accepted March 1 2018 – March 31 2018.)